RecodeXR is a brand new XR & Virtual Production Studio based in Manchester.
Carbon Digital is launching a brand-new service arm to its existing business offering Virtual Production. During the lockdown period in 2020, we noticed that many of our clients were pausing projects and looking to mitigate the risks of getting together crews, travel to shoots or gather on set for traditional productions.
In the previous period, as a business we had come full-circle in our 23 years of trading and returned to one of the earliest production methods which was experiencing a huge resurgence - game engine graphics. Prior to starting Carbon Digital, co-founders Sue and Paul McHugh were hands-on artist and animator working on game titles, we worked for companies including Acclaim, Rage Software and Sony Computer Entertainment and we had an in-depth knowledge of the art-form that is game engine work. We invested time and resources into learning Unreal software and its production pipeline to create two trailers show-casing our abilities. These can be seen on our website. We had the first piece of the puzzle, the virtual real-time content, deliverable at the highest quality output.
We then began work, (on a shoe-string budget), to master virtual production technology, it was a very steep learning curve! We managed limited budget shoots using the most basic tech to test the process and gain an in-depth understanding of the pipeline.
We needed the LED wall to really put our knowledge into action. Since we were still on lockdown, we knew events companies would be unable to operate and one of the first we contacted, SBS Audio Visual in Trafford Park, took us up on our proposal.
We have since formed a partnership named Recode XR, bringing together their studio and LED wall, with our team and knowledge in Virtual Production and game -engine content.
We have worked to deliver a showreel capable of showcasing our expertise to the marketplace. The reel demonstrates our expertise in VP and game engine content.
Where are we at now? Ready to launch to market! We are ready to begin approaching companies producing any form of content. Our aim to move swiftly, to help companies still unable or unwilling to travel to shoots. We are able to produce any visual content from a Himalayan mountain-top, a sunny view over a coast to the surface of the moon, all without huge crews or travel.
What is RecodeXR?:
- A strategic partnership between event production specialists SBS Audio Visual and Visual Effects agency Carbon Digital, RecodeXR offers a full-service, cutting-edge Virtual Production facility.
- RecodeXR offers over two decades of expertise creating world-class game-engine & VFX based content for clients including Unilever, Standard Chartered, Sony Computer Entertainment and Samsung, set within a state-of-the-art LED screen XR facility.
- Through the results of our R&D, we have recently been appointed ambassadors to Aximmetry Software. We were delighted to be recognised and supported by Aximmetry.
- The launch of RecodeXR marks a new chapter in our offering to create outstanding creative visual content, with Virtual Production set to unleash creative possibilities and rejuvenate the storytelling process.
- We are multi award-winning VFX, VR, AR and XR developers with a devoted team of technical artists, passionate about producing a high-fidelity visual output.
The future for Virtual Production is huge and we hope to target all types of content producers with this new service. The pandemic has galvanised many new working processes including remote working which has become a new normal. We believe that Virtual Production addresses several key issues including reducing travel for environmental benefits, reduced crew sizes due to restrictions on meeting, as well as genre busting creative opportunities.
We applied to this competition because we feel that raising our profile and highlighting our expertise in this exciting new area, through CIC CreaTec would be hugely beneficial. The credibility and kudos of this award but be vital to the launch of our new service and would really help us to hit the ground running with our new venture.