- The global theatrical market was worth almost $42 billion in 2019. UK films earned $10.3 billion, up from $9.4 billion in 2018.
- UK qualifying independent films earned $1.1 billion at the worldwide box office in 2019, a 2.5 per cent share of the global theatrical market.
- The highest earning UK film at the worldwide box office in 2019 was Avengers: Endgame with a gross of $2.4 billion. The highest earning UK independent film worldwide in 2019 was Downton Abbey with a gross of $176 million.
- The box office share of UK independent films in the USA and Canada was 4 per cent, in Europe (eight major territories, excluding the UK and Republic of Ireland) it was 4 per cent, and in NewZealand it was 8 per cent.
- Of the 200 highest earning films at worldwide cinemas from 2010-2019, 26 are based on stories and characters created by UK writers. Together, they have earned $19 billion at the global box office. British acting talent has played lead and/or supporting roles in 67.5 per cent of the highest earning 200 films from 2010-2019.
- UK directors were behind 31 of the 200 highest earning films worldwide from 2010-2019, which collectively have earned over $20 billion. UK films and British talent won 27 major film awards in 2019/20, including six Oscars® and13 BAFTAs.
Source: BFI Statistical Yearbook
Image source: Jakob Owens, Unsplash.