- UK qualifying films earned 25% of global box office receipts in 2019, and UK talent and story material continued to showcase British culture and identity to the world.
- The global theatrical movie market was worth almost $42 billion in 2019; UK films earned $10.3 billion, up from $9.4 billion in 2018.
- UK qualifying independent films earned $1.1 billion at the worldwide box office in 2019, a 2.5% share of the global theatrical market. The highest earning UK film at the worldwide box office in 2019 was Avengers: Endgame with a gross of $2.4 billion. The highest earning UK independent film worldwide in 2019 was Downton Abbey with a gross of $176 million.
- The box office share of UK independent films in the USA and Canada was 4%, 4% Europe (eight major territories, excluding the UK and Republic of Ireland) and in New Zealand it was 8%. Of the 200 highest earning films at worldwide cinemas from 2010-2019, 26 were based on stories and characters created by UK writers. Together, they have earned $19 billion at the global box office.
- British acting talent played lead and/or supporting roles in 67.5% of the highest earning 200 films from 2010-2019. UK directors were behind 31 of the 200 highest earning films worldwide from 2010-2019, which collectively have earned over $20 billion. UK films and British talent won 27 major film awards in 2019/20, including six Oscars® and 13 BAFTAs.
Source: 2020 BFI Statistical Yearbook