Nesta, the innovation charity, has developed recommendations to create 1 million new jobs in the UK creative economy by 2030.
The body's proposals include:
- Encouragement of multi-disciplinary education by transforming STEM educational criteria (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) into STEAM by including an arts element
- Establishment of a £100m competitive fund to develop clusters outside London, using matched funding from the private sector, local authorities and cultural funders
- Creation of a fund to invest in ultrafast digital infrastructure (speeds approaching 1Gbps) to cover research and development of faster connections, development of new commercial applications and services; and analysis of behaviour in faster speed households
- Promotion of innovative financial models by publicly-funded arts bodies such as the Arts Council England, Creative Scotland and the British Film Institute to encourage additional funding in the creative industries
- Creation of a National Lottery distributor for the video games industry, following the BFI model